1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die: 627. Dinosaur Jr. - Bug (1988)

 


I do like a bit of grunge / alt-rock / indie-rock / noise-rock, but three albums in the same broad genre in a row? Well, them’s the breaks. I liked the previous Dinosaur Jr. offering, was I going to like this one? It’s really hard for me to choose which variant I prefer – these guys, the grungier Mudhoney, or the spacier Sonic Youth. I like them all. Dinosaur Jr. do kind of fall between the two others in terms of hard attack vs soaring melody. 

There are bits and pieces that remind me, yet again, of various other artists before and after. Freak Scene reminded me of Ash. There's a touch of Neil Young in J Mascis’ vocals for No Bones, as well as his guitar flourishes in it. Mascis' Hendrix-style guitar from the previous album returns for Let It Ride for a barnstorming finish that polishes an otherwise average tune. The Post is glorious grunge, veering into Smashing Pumpkins territory. Don’t is some squealing guitar chaos with Mascis screaming “Why don’t you like me?” over the top, not unlike some of the ground covered by Public Image Ltd., but heavier. Maybe the spirit of Henry Rollins hovers overhead too.

They Always Come has soaring vocals and guitar. Yeah We Know is a real “turn it up loud” track with a galloping riff. Keep The Glove has a chirpy upbeat melody standing in contrast to the past five minutes of grind and noise, which jumps back at us in the closing minutes. Delicious. 

 

Comments