Seattle grunge arrives on the list, but it’s not the more famous cousin. There are, however, elements that are clear influences on Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, especially the quiet bit / loud bit shape of If I Think, and some of the progressions of the track Need.
But there’s also the shadow of The Stooges on tracks like Touch Me. In ‘n’ Out Of Grace uses the “We wanna be free ... to get loaded” quote, as also used by Primal Scream a bit later on - Peter Fonda from the Roger Corman biker film The Wild Angels. The track is a storming bit of thunder, with a great drum break in the middle from which it returns. There are several versions of this album, which in its original form is little more than an EP; later editions include earlier singles as well, and the version I found was the Deluxe edition which also includes a few demos and alternative versions of tracks, as well as an entertaining grunge version of The Rose (from Bette Midler).
This is yet another of those bands that was on my radar but that I never managed to explore at the time, something I regret after hearing this album. It’s some good grunge, in some ways better than Nirvana for not being so over-exposed. The album name comes from two models of distortion pedal although I’m sure that the band paired them deliberately to evoke images of hirsute ladies.
Comments
Post a Comment