1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die: 595. Guns ‘N’ Roses – Appetite For Destruction (1987)

 

I don’t think Guns ‘N’ Roses ever escaped the popularity of Sweet Child O’ Mine and Paradise City, two epic rock tunes of Steinmanian proportions. Welcome To The Jungle, largely thanks to its use in films, is another classic, something a bit more thundering and direct than the almost prog-like Big Two. 

Away from these, though, the album tends to fall back on AC/DC soundalike tracks that are fine, as they go, but nothing that I found enormously exciting or novel. Anything Goes (not the Cole Porter one...) is a good down and dirty track where Slash uses a talkbox, otherwise it's Axl Rose singing in Robert Plant register, demonstrating his rock credentials with a lot of swearing. Odd, really, that most of these hard rock/heavy metal genre bands have tended to be fairly polite, when you examine the lyrics. Yes, some of them like to evoke the idea of satanic rituals but tend only to get sweary when they’re exercised about crappy governments and social inequality. Rose just likes to throw in the occasional “fuck” for the sake of it, which kind of diminishes the effect. 

It’s some solid dirty rock, but nothing that, as I said AC/DC haven’t done before, and GnR never really recaptured the effects of Paradise City and Sweet Child O’ Mine – I wonder if either of the two Use Your Illusion albums are on here, because that was pretty much their last gasp for a long while. 

Comments